When I first started writing about fashion for women over 40, I researched fashion for women our age. I bought some books, and I read them from cover to cover.
I learned a lot from reading those books, but now that I’m well past my 40s, my thoughts on what not to wear have changed.
You should wear what makes you feel good. Dress your body type. It’s more about what looks good on your body and less about a number (your age).
With that being said, there are some things that you might what to think about if you’re over 40.
Here is my list of What Not To Wear After Age 40
1. Jeans that don’t fit. While baggy jeans are coming in style again, they aren’t very flattering. Good fitting jeans look good on any age woman.
It’s always a good idea to check our jeans’ backside to see how they look. I shared 5 Brands Of Jeans And How They Look Front And Back.
2. Dark Lipstick can make your teeth look whiter, but it can also be harsh and accentuate fine lines. As you age, you might want to wear lighter lip color.
Maybelline Warm Me Up #235 is a beautiful color that looks good on most women.
3. Obvious lip liner is not attractive at any age.
4. Holiday Sweaters with bells and appliqués are fun to wear to an ugly sweater party but stick to classic sweaters in red or green for a sophisticated look.
5. Black hair color is harsh, and most women over 40 look better with a lighter color. It softens your overall look.
My hair is a medium brown color with some natural highlights.
6. Glittery eyeshadow can settle into fine lines, but a little shimmer in the right places is a great option.
7. Outfits that are too matchy-matchy. Right now, they’re having a moment in the fashion industry, so wear them if you like them, just don’t overdo it.
8. Elastic waist pants or shorts. Elastic instantly ages you, so anything besides work-out clothes should have a regular waist.
This is not an exhaustive list but a list of things I try to avoid. Never say never when it comes to fashion because it’s always changing.
Growing older doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with fashion. Enjoy every season!
Beauty For the Heart~~She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. Proverbs 31:25
Have a blessed day!
DON’T MISS A POST!
Subscribe to get email updates! In addition to my most recent blog posts, you’ll receive an exclusive newsletter, and a sneak peek behind the scenes with family pictures, etc. — all delivered right to your inbox.
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT THAT MEANS, SEE MY ABOUT PAGE: BLOG COMPENSATION AND DISCLOSURE.